Re: Measuring Pt/Pd Negative Density Ranges

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/25/00-06:37:51 AM Z

Steve Shapiro wrote:
> ... I have a Kodak density sheet that tells the contrast range for silver
> gelatin, grades of papers. ...

But for what developers and processing, as these will likely influence
the results.

> Now: What I would like to know, by guess, experience or extimate; what are
> the print ranges for Pt/Pd i.e.drops [recommended] for each density
> measurement?

As I do not record density numbers and use my eye to judge the densities
(based on experience), I do not have numbers to give you. I have
trained my eye and it suits me fine. I have written up a training
exercise (in my guide, from link below) to assist others in the training
of their eyes. However keep in mind that for each paper, coating
formula and technique, processing, ambient conditions, the white and
black boundary points and the print range of values may differ.

If you really want to know, you will have to determine this yourself
from your own preferred materials, processing and methods.

If you would like to know the minimum or threshold amount of drops
necessary to maximize results, the threshold studies in my guide address
how to do this. But keep in mind that maximized results will contain
densities (that are not neccessarily maximum) based on the materials,
processing and methods employed.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/