scanning alt prints

List mind:

I'm digitizing platinum prints for web use and have hit a snag with my
banquet camera prints. I can't fit them on my flatbed scanner in one
piece, of course. When I scan in sections, it's a piece of cake to join
the sections properly for alignment, BUT, my ten year old Microtek
appears incapable of delivering the same tonal map two scans in a row.
Even though sections are scanned at identical settings, the tonal values
of the two sides don't match and the join sticks out like a sore thumb.
Worse, the differences aren't linear. Mid-tones may be ok while darks
are darker on the left and lights are lighter on the left. Changing one
side to match the other with Curves or Levels is out of the question.
Even if possible it would take too long.

So, while this is getting a little off-subject for alt, since I know
some of you are doing similar things, is the inconsistency from scan to
scan just a problem with my "antique" scanner that a new-tech model will
solve? What equipment are folks using that delivers segmented scans with
consistent tonal values?

---Carl

--
Workshop info and an online gallery, at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/