Re: scanning alt prints

At 4:43 PM -0500 3/3/00, Carl Weese wrote:
>I'm digitizing platinum prints for web use and have hit a snag with my
>banquet camera prints. I can't fit them on my flatbed scanner in one
>piece, of course. When I scan in sections, it's a piece of cake to join
>the sections properly for alignment, BUT, my ten year old Microtek
>appears incapable of delivering the same tonal map two scans in a row.
>Even though sections are scanned at identical settings, the tonal values
>of the two sides don't match and the join sticks out like a sore thumb.
>Worse, the differences aren't linear. Mid-tones may be ok while darks
>are darker on the left and lights are lighter on the left. Changing one
>side to match the other with Curves or Levels is out of the question.
>Even if possible it would take too long.
>
>So, while this is getting a little off-subject for alt, since I know
>some of you are doing similar things, is the inconsistency from scan to
>scan just a problem with my "antique" scanner that a new-tech model will
>solve? What equipment are folks using that delivers segmented scans with
>consistent tonal values?

Carl,

After the first section, if you can scan additional sections without
doing a Prescan or Preview, then the setting should remain the same
and the tonalities identical.

Some scanner software would insist on doing a Prescan and recalibrate
each time. If that is the case with yours, you might try a third
party scanning software.

It has nothing to do with your hardware.

Sam