Re: Help with Van Dyke and Cyanotype

Assuming my starting point is a normally exposed and developed negative(35mm or 6x6) - should I try to obtain "normal" looking interpositives and final negatives, in terms of exposure and contrast level ?  Or
should they be over/under exposed and high/low contrast, for best results ?

I learned how to make negatives for alt processes at the University of the Arts with Sarah Van Keuren and when we used lith film we often developed it in paper developer, instead of film developer, to get a smooth and continuous tone.  The negative produced from developing in paper developer has a wider range of values and is a lot less contrasty than one from film developer.  This is really the most desirable kind of negative for printing van dyke.

Also for printing vandyke, I have found that one of the best papers is strathmore bristol 1 ply - matte surface.  This paper is found at most art supply stores.  You do not want 2 ply because the layers will often separate or bubble during developing.  This paper works great; the fibers of the paper will not lift off during development and you get a smooth print.

Cyanotype is less finicky than van dyke so for papers you can use almost anything, including handmade paper, cloth, and even egg shells.

hope this is of help,
Jahje Bath
jahje@aol.com