Re: Digital negs and Platinum

Richard wrote:

> Just wondering about how feasible it is to start with 35mm negs to produce
> 8x10 digital negs for contact printing with platinum/palladium.
>
> I've seen David Fokos' prints on the web and notice they are mostly square -
> I'm assuming that he shoots 6x6??

Last I heard most of his original negs are 8x10.

> How large could one go from a 35mm neg digital/platinum before things got
> ugly?

This depends on personal taste, the pictures you are making, and what
you consider ugly. The thing you want to pay attention to is why you
want to print in platinum. Certain things we see in most platinum prints
are inherent to the medium, but others come from the fact that most
platinum prints happen to be made from large format negatives. Printing
in platinum from enlarged negs (digital or analog) from 35mm originals
can give beautiful results, but they don't look like pictures from large
format cameras. So you can print from 35mm any size you want and get the
qualities of platinum prints, but you won't pick up the qualities of
large format negatives by changing the way you enlarge a 35.---Carl

--
Workshop info and online galleries at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/