Re: Anticipating the future

Dan, I don't disagree with your with your thesis concerning
computers exactly, seriously doubt that computers overall
will ever mature, although certain segments of the market
may; but would like to tie in the automobile fins of
yesterday and the computers of today. In fact the fins were
a pure design gimmick, designed purely to sell cars; and it
worked. I could argue that Macs today are taking a similar
tack (and I like Macs, program them, think MS makes at best
mediocre software), selling on style. Now it so happens that
Macs are extremely powerful and wonderful computers, aside
from the styling. That is, Apple is not designing just for
style as GM was; but also designing for function. This is good.

As to cars today, I don't see that our population is any
more resistant to advertising. The young people I've had
working for me were all more or less obsessed with their
cars, wanting another type of car, modifying the stereo
system, generally drooling. They are truly emotionally
involved. I'd suggest that the adult population is also
extremely vulnerable. No? Maybe you can tell me why SUV's
and pickup trucks are such a big deal (might add, much more
so here in Texas than anywhere on the East coast I've been
lately). Still selling like gangbusters, even given their
safety record and the cost of gas.

I think Judy's right about appliances, what a bunch of
crummy designers, particularly those making refrigerators.
Granted, automated defrosting is good, real good; but it
does cost us electricity to do this (although they do seem
to be more efficient to operate overall). That is, they are
extraordinarily expensive, ugly, disfunctional, difficult to
clean, feel cheap, and there's almost no choice of color or style.

Since MS and Intel have won the first couple of rounds, it's
highly likely that computers will get cheaper, in all
respects. The only reason for hope is that the battle will
probably never end; although we may have to suffer through
decades of inferior quality from time to time.

Pam

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer
Pinehill Softworks Inc.