Re: Anticipating the future

I have to agree with Judy and disagree with Dan on this one: the trend
is toward sloppier, stupider computers rather than the other way around.
Fifteen years ago I did all the statistical work for a large school
district on a Mac SE with *1MB RAM* and 20MB hard disk, and to
facilitate writing reports I kept Excel (containing large databases),
Statistica, Word, and Cricket Graph all open on my desktop at the same
time with no drag on the memory. Software has gotten sloppier and
sloppier until now you can hardly run the operating system with less
than 16MB of RAM. My brother, who is the systems manager for a public
utility and keeps his networks at the cutting edge, says he won't be
implementing Windows 2000 because even very recent machines would have
to replaced with something more powerful in order to run it with any
efficiency. I still write with Word 5.1 because Word 6 and all
succeeding releases of Word have been ridiculous in terms of disk space
and RAM eaten up, with absolutely nothing added that's useful to me.

I'm not one of those-- what do they call them-- "early adopters" who
like to get the newest and hottest thing. I like to find something I
like and use it until it wears out. I don't buy new clothes every year
or even every decade; I've only had three cars in my life (and I drive a
lot; my 1988 Honda has nearly 200,000 miles on it) and I prefer
furniture with...character over something new from the store.  But I've
been forced to buy three new computer systems in the last ten years, and
I am not happy about it.

I do not believe that the Bill Gates of this world intend to kill this
cash cow any time soon by giving us a Frigidaire or Westingpoint that we
can use happily for 20 or 40 years. Yes, the Mac gives us that
reliability, but unfortunately it's not usually the hardware that's the
problem, rather it's incompatibility of software and peripherals that
force one to upgrade even when the machine itself is perfectly good.

And it's always something. Last week I called my computer catalog store
to order new cartridges for my peripheral magneto-optical drive. Guess
what-- they don't make that size cartridge any more. The drive is 5
years old so it should have been replaced by now, seems to be the
reasoning. At any rate, now I'm stuck with my hard drive filling up with
images and no place to put them, and soon I will have to break down and
not only buy a new peripheral drive, but spend a few days moving all the
images off the MO cartridges and onto something else. And no, I can't
just keep the MO drive active along with something else because there
are only so many places on a SCSI chain and I've already got them all
filled.

I don't think, Dan, that it's going to get any better. I'm inclined to
think that the folks who want to build film from scratch might have the
better idea.

Katharine Thayer