Re: Photocopying tech issues...

> Maybe a little off topic but I have a friend who is trying to obtain an
> optimal photocopy of a black & white image.
>
> Is there anything he needs to know regarding outputting the image from
> Photoshop to ensure the best quality? He's printing on an inkjet on to
> photo
> paper initially - how should he set up the image in PSP?

You need to run a few tests as some photocopiers are much better than
others, but basically you need a pretty course screen - perhaps 80 lpi,
though it is worth trying up to 120 lpi. I don't use PSP, so I don't know
what control you have. The Epson drivers for my printer allow no control
when it comes to outputting halftones - it's better to find a Postscript
printer, so your friend may not be too successful.

In Photoshop it also helps to reduce the output range in the levels
dialogue - say nothing below 12 or above 240. Perhaps there is something
similar in PSP.

I scanned a standard gray scale and then played around until I got tones
that separated well across the range when I copied the printout. I found it
a good idea to increase the shadow separation a bit in the scanner software
also. However the equipment your friend has may be different.

We have 3 copiers at work and they each give different results. They got
rid of the best one for photos a couple of years back.

Peter Marshall
Photography guide at About.com       http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://www.cix.co.uk/~petermarshall/