Re: Homemade paper and Luminos

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Gary Miller wrote:

> ... To smooth
> your paper out you could try misting it a bit and then sticking it in a dry
> mount press between two very smooth boards or running it through the roller
> of a manual lithography type printing press with the rollers set very close
> together.  This should smooth down the surface a bit, but not to the extent
> of store bought hot pressed paper.  Spray starch may also help lower the
> surface roughness if followed by the hot press.  Experiment.  I know that
> you love to do that.

I thought I might experiment with the clay, actually, since generally I
find that anything "smoothed" by heat or pressing reverts to its original
structure as soon as it's soaked in water. Many of the hotpress papers
also get rougher after the soak. Anyway, now that you mention it, maybe
I'll just mix some clay with mat medium and .... whatever. So thanx.

BUT, I would DEFINITELY not use spray starch on anything, except maybe the
next time I iron my husband's shirts (that's a JOKE !), certainly not on
my good paper and fine prints.  Tsk tsk.

Judy