Re: Garet's question about gum exposures

> And I've also found that the shadows can build up
>  so much density a new layer is hard to even apply --

Something similar happened to me, not with the gum built up but my sizing was
too heavy. Remember I mentioned about some problem with sizing about 2 weeks
ago. It was a 2-coat size in the beginning. I added 2 new coats, then one
more coat.... ended up with 5 layers of gelatin.

When I coat with the emulsion, I noticed that paper felt different. It didn't
want to take as much pigment as I was used to, so I couldn't get the deep
deep black that I want for my direct carbon prints. The bad part is I didn't
realize it was the sizing, so I checked this and that and tried this and that
and all failed. Yesterday, as I sat with frustration and flipped my pages of
record, I flipped page by page and back to the page where I got my deep matte
black for SDC, and it suddently occurred to me that that was just before I
sized this new batch of paper!

So tonight I sized a new batch, and the new sized paper does feel
distinctively "coarser" than the old batch. The old batch was smoothly
covered by gelatin. Oh well, since the gelatin is partially hardened by alum,
I guess I could use it some day for double transfer carbon; but I should have
throw them out in the first place and would have saved myself 2 weeks of work.

Dave S