Re: staining in the center of a ziatype (long post)

Jeffery,

> One way to
> brighten highlights is to use a brighter paper.

Any suggestions?

> You probably did not do this, but if the chemistry you used is developed
> in potassium oxalate, the highlights will loose brightness as if fogged.

No developer was used.

> Another thing to check related to the highlights is if the print has
> been fully cleared.
What are the parameters to insure the print has cleared?
For zias, I do the following. 5 m 1st wash with running water. 5 m HCA for
step 2, 4min wash for 3&4. Then a final running water wash for 5 m.

> It is a good idea to keep the process as basic and as simple as needed.

Agreed. No more sizing.

> Exposure should be that to print unexposed film as black as with no
> film.
I thought that since Zia-types are a POP that print exposure was judged by
inspecting the density of the highlights.

> The lower tones should be on the straight line portion of the film so as
> to have the most separation.  It is critical to have the negative
> properly exposed and developed.
> Lower tone separation can be helped by analog masking or digital
> technique when building a new negative (enlarged or not).
> Lower tone separation will be hurt by not using enough chemistry coated
> per area.  (This is likely if you mixed your solutions according to The
> New Platinum Print.  I have found these mixtures to be too weak.)

So if I am currently using say 6 LiPd and 6 AFO then I should say use an 8-8
mix?

> The "wet" look can be partially simulated by an overcoat of plain gum or
> acrylic.
Interesting. Will the print surface have a similar appearance to a silver
gelatin glossy print?

> Do not be surprised if the steps end up looking different for different
> images.  Proper tones should be based on the image and not the steps.

I thought printing a step wedge provides an objective method of analyzing
the contrast of the emulsion mix and is not intended to guide the
interpretation of the negative.

Don Bryant

P.S. I don't know if it will help but I can put some of these prints on a
web page for examination