Cyanotype

About a year ago I spent a lot of time testing various cyanotype formulas
including the Ware process. I also tested various papers.

In my opinion, the Ware process does indeed give the nicest images
and the greatest Dmax and tonal range. However, you can acheive
nearly the same thing by using the old simple formula and use
2 parts of A solution to 1 part of B solution.

The Ware process is supposed to be more archival. About that I do
not have any data. I do have an old cyanotype postcard with a
1901 cancellation mark that looks really good.

It is a lot of work to mix the Ware process sensitizer.

BTW I found Cranes 90# white cover stock gave me the best results
with cyanotype.

Cyanotype has gotten a lot of "bad press" but it has a tonal range
nearly that of platinum and is very very inexpensive. Also you don't
have to worry much about toxic chemicals.

I have made some very nice prints using Judy's cyanotype toning
method. I hope she prints it in issue #5.

Bob Schramm