Re: question

>I have recently experimented with making nagatives on my Epson inkjet
>printer.  Ordinary Paper is too grainy for my purposes, waxing actually
>accentuated the grain.  Film doesn't take on sufficient density.  Solution:
>I use transparent paper as used in technical drawing.  The surface is very
>smooth, it has very little grain, is transparent like a waxed paper (and
>more evenly so), and takes on a good maximal density.

Reply:

>Hi Andre - Could you give a brand name and designation name or number? In
>what stores or types of stores is it sold?

ReplyReply:

Brands will differ in different countries.  I use Canson's
"Hochtransparentes Zeichenpapier" at 90g/sqm.  A pad of 50s (promotion =
60s ;-) costs DM 10 (about US$ 5).  You will be able to find this kind of
paper in any good stationary shop that holds a minimum of equipment for
technical drawing.  Architects use it, among others.  (It looks a bit like
the kind of grease proof paper mum used to wrap my sandwiches in.)

I recommend that you play with Photoshop's transfer function to get the
right scale.  You find the tranfer settings under the page setup options.
For printing at 1440 dpi with black ink I set 100 = 96, 90 = 95, 10 = 15.
This gives me a smooth scale in the printout with no smeared ink in the
highlites. I have seen colour printing being recommended for printing out
negs (hues of red).  Though the idea sounds plausible, I found that colour
printing uses too much ink which is not readily absorbed by the transparent
paper.  Using hues of red would also require more elaborate testing.

Hope that helps -- if not, please get back to me.

Andre