Re: Negative sharpness in contact printing

>People:
>
>I use an old contact printer with a useable area of around 10 inches by 13
>inches, which is perfect for 8x10 negatives. There is a 1.5mm neoprene
>sheet on top of the negative/paper sandwich.
>
>However, I have noticed that when I print some of my 5x4 negatives, they
>look quite soft. Yet the same negatives in the enlarger, printed onto
>silver paper are more  than acceptably sharp. Other negatives contact
>print adequately sharp, but are no sharper (or seem so) in the enlarger
>than those that look soft.
>
>Do you think this is simply an issue of not making proper contact of
>negative and sensitised paper, or is there something else I should explore
>- like getting sharper negatives :) ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Peter.

>                                WARNING
>
>This email message and any attached files may contain information
>that is confidential and subject of legal privilege intended only for
>use by the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.   If you
>are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
>delivering the message to the intended recipient be advised that you
>have received this message in error and that any use, copying,
>circulation, forwarding, printing or publication of this message or
>attached files is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the
>information contained therein. If you have received this message in
>error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your
>InBox.
>
>AFP Web site: http://www.afp.gov.au

Peter,

negatives which enlarge sharply, should contact print sharply as well.
There are several issues to concern about;

- is contact perfect? Try to get your hands on a 50% screened film at as
high a screen as possible. A screened contact print shows imperfect
contact by shifts in density in the print.
This effect is very apparent.
- what light source are you using. If you use a condensor enlarger but a
diffuse light source for your contact prints, that may give quite
different results.
- Do you put your negative's sensitive layer in contact with the printing
paper? Sounds silly, but I've known several people who put the emulsion
side towards the light source. Emulsion side should be in contact with
the paper!
- What process are you printing in. Some look less sharp then others...

Hope this helps,

Carl Fransman

SALTO
Printing & Lithography