Book

It has arrived!

Stephen, please excuse me for answering this in public on the list, but I
believe people should know.

It has been a two week wait, but certainly worth it. I had ordered the
book 'Whispered Prayers' (Talisman Press) by fellow listmember Stephen
Harrison and I received it yesterday. Here's what I think about it.
First of all, I think everyone interested in beautiful photography should
have it on their bookshelf.
The originals were made by Stephen with, I think, a 7x17 inch camera.
They're printed Pt/Pd.
The book is beautifully printed. It is truly exquisite. And the images
are beautiful too. Panoramic portraits of Tibetans in exile. I love the
presentation and the attention to detail that went into the production of
this book. I can tell, it's my job. If there are some books that I would
have liked to print, this is one of them.
I only have one remark. Since the originals are Pt/Pd prints, I would
have preferred an uncoated paper (i.e. Monadnock Samarkand, a beautiful
americain paper). The glossy paper is probably a better commercial
decision, but I've seen beautiful books on uncoated stock (i.e. Kenro
Izu's last book). Also on uncoated stock, you could at least get some of
the feel of a Pt/Pd print... Apart from that, top marks!

I think us people on the list should support each other. Buying a book is
a small gesture that could make a whole world of difference to a small
publisher.

Carl Fransman

PS I've met Stephen only once - during last year's APIS and I am sending
this note by personal initiative only! Rather than sending my remarks to
him, I'm sharing them to the other listmembers.

SALTO
Printing & Lithography

Groenplaats 1
3621 Rekem-Lanaken