Re: Expired film

At 12:24 AM 03/31/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi there
>
>In the spirit of cheap experimentation, what's the most over expired films
>that anyone here has used?
>
>I am being offered 40 rolls of 120 HP5 and 60 rolls of XP2 all at $0.59 per
>roll which have been refrigerated (but not frozen) since they were bought
>(Dec 1998 expiry). I figure that they are still eminently usable, esp. so
>the HP5
>
>Tan
>\
 I have used some film which was getting on towards ten years out of date.
Some fogging but not enough to really affect performance. This stuff should
perform like new.
 From experience around five years is the limit before one needs to
increase exposure to overcome the fog.
  While refrigerating helps the film is still sensitive (works in the
arctic) and is eventually fogged by cosmic rays if not be chemical changes.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com