Re: Dichromate Hazards - Thanks!

From: Linda Phillips (linda__phillips@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/01/00-02:13:33 PM Z

Thanks to Sil and Sarah for your further clarification. But again, I must
say that this is rather confusing. On the one hand, Sarah says that
dichromates might be hazardous to fragile environments, yet Sil points out
that small chromium dosages are beneficial. I suppose the size of the
"dose" is the cogent issue. But in the MSDS, doses aren't specified. But
what IS specified is rather alarming. Here are some excerpts from the
Fisher archive concerning Potassium Dichromate:

"Dangerous to the environment. Mutagen. May cause fetal effects based upon
animal studies. Causes eye and skin burns. May cause liver and kidney
damage. Cancer hazard. May cause blood abnormalities. "

To the laymen, this sound pretty bad.

I apologize to everyone for over reacting.