Re: Dichromate Hazards - Thanks!

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 05/01/00-07:38:59 AM Z

Linda Phillips wrote:

> Am I the only dichromate user that is concerned with this problem? I am
> puzzled as to why other gum printers on this list, those that are usually
> quick to contribute, were conspicuously absent from this discussion. Judy,
> Sarah, Kathryn, Sandy - you folks don't just shrug and dump this waste down
> the drain? Do you?

I'm not sure whether it's me or Kathryn Garrison being called forth
here, but in case it's me, I'll throw in my 2bits even though this
question has been discussed at length before on this list. I took this
question up a year or two ago with my sister who is the head scientist
of the water quality lab for a state which will remain anonymous. She
wrote back at length; unfortunately I can't quote her reply because I've
moved since then and it's in a box somewhere. After wading through all
the howevers, the whereases and the on the other hands, the answer was
that in the amounts we use, the material becomes quite diluted enough in
a municipal sewer system not to constitute a problem, and that's true
even if there were several people in any given city doing the same
thing. However, I wouldn't be comfortable disposing of the stuff into a
septic tank system.
Katharine Thayer