Re: Seeing

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/03/00-08:57:47 PM Z

Martin Salowey wrote:
> ... Seeing both close up and
> distance are getting a bit difficult. This I can deal with, but when using
> a camera with tack sharp optics that produce out of focus prints and
> transparencies, this becomes a major issue. ...
> I shoot with many cameras and all have become a challenge focusing,...

It may be best to use a ground glass (which Hasselblad does have), but
4x5 to 8x10 may be better. And, get some glasses with a prescription
for focusing at the distance you will be viewing the ground glass. You
must explain to the optometrist or ophthalmologist exactly what your
special requirement is. You may even take your camera with you. My
brother is an opthalmologist and custom wrote my prescription which is
much different than my regular glasses. His office is in Danbury
Connecticut, but it should not be that difficult to get a custom
prescription. The other thing about ground glass is that just focusing
for what looks the best will be the correct focus. Just focus best on
what is at the center of the field depth (lens wide open) and then stop
down enough to encompass everything. I don't bother with a loupe any
more, and stopped down it's too dark to see anyway.

Also expect the prescription to change as your eyes change with time.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/