Seeing

From: Martin Salowey (mnspeebs@castle.net)
Date: 05/03/00-08:08:54 PM Z

Hi folks,

While this is not exacty alt it does concern many of us. I would appreciate
any input you may have on these questions. If you feel it is more
appropriate to contact me off list please feel free to do so.

At 44, my 20/20 vision has become challenged. Seeing both close up and
distance are getting a bit difficult. This I can deal with, but when using
a camera with tack sharp optics that produce out of focus prints and
transparencies, this becomes a major issue. Hey, soft focus wheather I want
it or not!

I shoot with many cameras and all have become a challenge focusing, but one
in particular started the whole issue. When shooting with my Hasselblad,
with either the "stove pipe" or prism finder, I was getting slightly out of
focus results….. consistently. This gets a bit difficult to explain to
clients after a while. I took the camera to Hasselblad and had them service
the camera bringing it back to factory specifications; same problem
occurred. "Hey you guys did a crappy job" I told Hasselblad. They went back
over the system with a fine tooth comb. Results: the camera is working
perfectly, including focusing. The Hasselblad technicians indicated that
both of the finders "focus" at about 7 or 8 feet.

OK, next stop, an ophthalmologist. Guess what - 20/20 vision, although I am
getting older and do not expect this to last much longer. They indicated
that I have a slightly astigmatic condition also. "Should this affect my
ability to focus my camera" I ask, "Nope" was the reply. Not convinced that
this fellow knew what he was talking about I chatted with others in the
"eye business". All collaborated his findings. " Why am I having problems
focusing?" everyone shrugs their shoulders not at all understanding what a
disaster this is for a photographer.

Here are my questions: Has anyone had similar experiences? and any
recommendations on where to find reliable help? I live in the NY metro area
and work in healthcare and I have had not luck finding resources. I have an
additional concern that my mother went blind from macular degeneration.
There has been not evidence indicating that there is a genetic connection
but it does add fuel to the fire.

Look forward to commiseration and your suggestions

Marty