Re: Viruses posted to the list...

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 05/04/00-12:48:45 PM Z

editor@p-o-v-image.com writes:

> Doesn't matter whether you disagree or not...
>
> The reality is the liability exists as long as attachments are allowed..

Keith,

I don't run a mailing list, so I don't know how easy or difficult it is to
disallow/disable attachment. You are probably upset or frustrated by
receiving a message with virus, and so are many. If you want to suggest
*nicely* to the listowner to disable attachment, I think that is reasonable.
It is still his decision.

But I fail to see why he should be liable. If that is indeed the case, no one
would want to be a listowner unless it is for commercial reason and anybody
who joins a list must sign a legal document saying that you agree that you
could possible die by reading an email and you would not sue the listowner.

Even your example doesn't make logical sense to me. The situation that you
described is not exactly the same as this mailing list. I think the current
situation is more like I have a piece of empty land, and I allow anybody who
needs to park their car to park there. Park at your own risk. I don't monitor
it. I don't hire police or security to check it. Everything is on your own.
Anybody can park his/her car there and take it away whenever s/he wants to.
When you park there, I don't steal or do any damage to your car. Now somebody
else deliberately or not deliberately damaged your car there, and you are
saying that I am liable. Why???

I am not here to argue about legal issue, but I think it is unreasonable that
when we are upset with something that happened on the list, we say that the
listowner is liable. Well, we have enough mails on this virus, so I think the
warning has gone out enough. Let's get back to alt. process.

(Interestingly, I never received the original message with the virus
attachment. It's probably because I deleted it just by looking at the subject
line although I did not consciously realized it.... maybe I knew already that
nobody loved me.) ;-)

Dave Soemarko