Re: "course" in gum, & Re: course of true love

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 05/06/00-08:35:24 AM Z

Judy, as you know, gum bichromate is my favorite medium also, but I wonder
about its ability to render fine detail in the explicit way that some
photographers desire. The fact that the image is comprised of bits of
pigment that are huge compared to the atoms or molecules that comprise
palladium or vandyke would make me think otherwise. Also, while YOU may be
able to make a satisfactory gum print in one layer, I need at least two
layers and usually 3, 4 or 5. This makes the issue of registration or slight
lack of thereof significant.

The layered glazes that comprise gum prints are like amber strata containing
different pigments. Depending on the angle of viewing it seems possible that
sharpness could subtly change. This gives a depth of detail that to me is
more satisfying that finer surface rendition. What really attracts me to
gum, however, is the sense of sculptural volume and atmosphere that is
possible with it.

Sarah Van Keuren