Re: Cyanotype Questions

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 05/08/00-02:21:33 AM Z

>Question # 1: I tried printing a 6x9 glass negon
>Cranes Platinotype with the New Cyanotype process
>yesterday adn ran into some problems. First of all, I
>came to realize my unopened chemistry had turned
>greeen. I had it for well over a year. Second,
>despite the fact that the pre-washed prints had great
>blue color, the blue proceeded to wash out of the
>print, bleed, and stain highlights.

If the solution has turned green, you probably won´t be able to
achieve clear hilites anymore. The best way to stabilize the image
after exposure is a bath for 1 to 2 minutes in 1 to 2% acid.
Thereafter a wash of 20 minutes will suffice.

>2. I plan to try some other papers such as Bienfang
>360, Fabriano Uno, and Cranes Prchment Wove. Any
>other paper sugestions???

For cyanotype? Cy isn't very picky on paper. If the solution
doesn't work on 1 kind of paper it probably won't work on any other.
As to papers, thin Japanese or Chinese papers, though difficult to
handle when wet, are very nice for cy.

>3. A friend suggested using spray starch to increase
>sizing of the platinotype and other papers to decrease
>bleeding, Any thoughts???

I have never tried spray starch. But judging from other experiences
with spray cans I doubt whether you get what is needed: an EVEN and
THIN coating. Anyway, I have yet to meet a paper that would be
improved for cy by sizing. A "kind of" sizing that can make a
difference is gum (mixed into the solution).

>4. Finally, Does anyone know where I can obtan a copy
>of Mike Ware's book on Cyanotypes???

www.rps.org

-- A