Re: Cyanotype Questions

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/08/00-09:18:54 AM Z

I have a rather large supply of Platinotype paper so I have printed
not only platinum on it but also VDB and several different cyanotype
sensitizer formulas, including the Ware process, with great success.

I suspect that the paper is not the problem. I would suggest that
you check the pH of the wash water. Also I suspect that your chemistry
might be "off."

Bob Schramm

>Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2000 10:48 PM
>Subject: Cyanotype Questions
>

> > Question # 1: I tried printing a 6x9 glass negon
> > Cranes Platinotype with the New Cyanotype process
> > yesterday adn ran into some problems. First of all, I
> > came to realize my unopened chemistry had turned
> > greeen. I had it for well over a year. Second,
> > despite the fact that the pre-washed prints had great
> > blue color, the blue proceeded to wash out of the
> > print, bleed, and stain highlights. With the the New
> > Cyanotpye Formula, I used 1 drop Tween 20 and 1 drop
> > Citric acid (as per insrtructions with the B&S
> > purchase). The print was brush coated and washed for
> > 15 minutes in several trays sitting water. The
> > bleeding started alomst immediately. By the way
> > Simili Japon 130 gm was a heavy bleeder. I really like
> > it for Platinum/Palladium printing, but it does not
> > apear to be a contender for Cyanotype based on this
> > recent expereince.
> >
> > 2. I plan to try some other papers such as Bienfang
> > 360, Fabriano Uno, and Cranes Prchment Wove. Any
> > other paper sugestions???
> >
> > 3. A friend suggested using spray starch to increase
> > sizing of the platinotype and other papers to decrease
> > bleeding, Any thoughts???
> >
> > 4. Finally, Does anyone know where I can obtan a copy
> > of Mike Ware's book on Cyanotypes???
> >
> > Thanks to all. The information posted on this list
> > has been invaluable and I appreciate everyone's
> > expertise and expereince sharing.
> >
> > Bob Parker

> > Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger.
> > http://im.yahoo.com/

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.geocities.com/schrammr1/schramm_studioa.htm

also look at: