Cyanotype Questions

From: Bob Parker (photobob124@yahoo.com)
Date: 05/06/00-11:48:44 PM Z

Question # 1: I tried printing a 6x9 glass negon
Cranes Platinotype with the New Cyanotype process
yesterday adn ran into some problems. First of all, I
came to realize my unopened chemistry had turned
greeen. I had it for well over a year. Second,
despite the fact that the pre-washed prints had great
blue color, the blue proceeded to wash out of the
print, bleed, and stain highlights. With the the New
Cyanotpye Formula, I used 1 drop Tween 20 and 1 drop
Citric acid (as per insrtructions with the B&S
purchase). The print was brush coated and washed for
15 minutes in several trays sitting water. The
bleeding started alomst immediately. By the way
Simili Japon 130 gm was a heavy bleeder. I really like
it for Platinum/Palladium printing, but it does not
apear to be a contender for Cyanotype based on this
recent expereince.

2. I plan to try some other papers such as Bienfang
360, Fabriano Uno, and Cranes Prchment Wove. Any
other paper sugestions???

3. A friend suggested using spray starch to increase
sizing of the platinotype and other papers to decrease
bleeding, Any thoughts???

4. Finally, Does anyone know where I can obtan a copy
of Mike Ware's book on Cyanotypes???

Thanks to all. The information posted on this list
has been invaluable and I appreciate everyone's
expertise and expereince sharing.

Bob Parker