Re: Developing 4x5 negatives

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 05/09/00-09:55:51 AM Z

Hi

It is quite true that the sooner the latent image is developed the better;
however the trade-off is in the poor consistency, damage, marks, etc you
will probably get from processing in less than ideal conditions. This is
more likely to cause trouble than a delay between exposure and development.

Exposed film should be kept cool, and just as important, at a stable temp.
High humidity is very damaging- sealing the boxes is a must, and you should
use something like silica gel (Not in contact with the film) inside the
packaging to combat humidity. (There are alternatives for those who don't
like silica gel, but it's still the most effective.)

It depends where you're going and how well you can store the processed film,
against your abilities in a makeshift darkroom.

Remember that mountain photography in particular can mean extremes of
temperature and humidity so take extra care.

On balance I'd say invest the effort into the storage system and do the
processing once you get back. From travelling in the tropics I think the
first problem you'll encounter with badly stored film is a loss of contrast
in the developed image. The answer to this is thorough cataloguing and
making regular test negatives (which are marked as such with date etc) so
that you can process the tests first and make alteration in your process
times to compensate for any loss of quality.

Hope it helps

Rod