Re: Developing 4x5 negatives

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 05/09/00-09:53:08 AM Z

>if you were taking BW negs
>on, let's say, TMax 100 during the day, removing them from film holders at
>night and putting them in the dark boxes, what would be the maximum amount
>of time you would allow yourself to do this before developing them?? I have
>heard that once exposed, the film changes over a period of time until
>developed and hence one should develop ASAP. Is this true?

In theory yes, in practice no -- well, up to a point.

>Can you really
>discern a difference, or do you all bring your chemistry with you always?
>(and combi tanks, etc.)

For more than 3 months I would start thinking about it.

>Is there a more marked difference with larger negs
>than, let's say, 35 mm?

Can't see why. The chemistry is the same.

>Could I even go three months without developing?

I had to do this a couple of times (with Ilford Delta 100 and 400).
I developed the films after 3 months and found the results in no way
wanting -- though, I confess, I was getting a bit nervous.

-- Andre