Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints.

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/12/00-12:16:05 PM Z

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Rod Fleming wrote:
< ,,,,Looking at prints now which I made over a quarter
> of a century ago on cheap Ilford "single-weight" glossy and then glazed on a
> (huge) chrome-bed glazer/dryer I am still impressed by the richness of the
> blacks, the excellent gradation and the sparkling surface. Long live
> alt-process!

Reading about the nuances of ferrotyping with the origin of the thread in
mind (from Liam, for, as I recall getting a bit more depth in an alt
print), another question seems paramount, at least to me. I gather that
the purpose of ferrotyping was for appearance of the print *in hand*
and/or for repro. But what about alt prints that will be framed under
glass for exhibition or display? Will that extra punch (not very great
according to my own admittedly imperfect trials of the added gelatin coat)
still be evident under glass? Glass adds as it were a "varnish" of its
own, and the boost from ferrotyping may not remain evident... Or maybe it
does???

Judy