Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints.

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 05/12/00-01:05:32 PM Z

Hi

You're right, the effect is most powerful with the prints not under glass,
but even under glass you will still see the expanded range of tones. I don't
think ferrotyping or glazing suits every picture, but the particular series
of photographs which I was looking at when I wrote were very high in scene
contrast, and you just can't beat a high gloss for that. Yummy. The work I
do now is totally different and I don't glaze the prints, though I still
have a glazer/dryer.

I must admit though I'm tempted to try some more work in that style, having
looked at those pictures.........

It depends what you mean by alt-prints; this is for glossy bromide fibre
paper, and maybe that's not really "alt". But I think that ferrotyping has
become sufficiently out of fashion to make the grade as an "alt-process".

Rod