Re: Gelatin chase

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/15/00-01:26:04 PM Z

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Sat, 13 May 2000, Witho Worms & Jorien van Santen wrote:
>
> > Judy,
> >
> > Did you compare a food and photographic gelatin of the same bloom. I have
> > heard that clearing is related to the bloom number(higher fogs more easy).
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Witho>
>

> Witho, I think I did, but that was a couple of years ago. When I have a
> moment I'll FIND THAT FOLDER and check. If not, I have some MORE gelatin
> tests planned (tho not sure WHEN they will happen) & will stick that in.
> An interesting question, obviously...
>
> Judy

Witho & co., checking back I find my tests were only with the 300 bloom,
so that and a couple of other gelatin comparisons are on the agenda once
more. But checking through my file on "gelatin" I find there probably is
no definitive answer on any of them...

For instance, one gelatin I absolutely could NOT make work for me EVER was
the deionized ossein (so called). Yet there was one test strip on a paper
called "litho" (hahnemuhl) that was just fine & dandy. Also, mixes that
didn't work with one gum arabic, are fine with another, which to all
intents & purposes (baume, pH, etc.) is identical. At the very least, such
anomalous results need to be rechecked before they become *gospel* --
there's always the possibility of mis-labeling (my mental out for stuff
that's otherwise absolutely inexplicable).

There's also the fact that my testing is DIFFERENT now than 5 years ago.
Now I test only the papers and colors I generally use lately -- but
impossible to test all combinations... there is often a GREAT difference
in how different colors interact with EACH gum/gelatin/paper equation.
Since most of us settle on one gum arabic, we lose sight of that
fact... I'm aware of it because somehow or other I'm still juggling among
3 or 4 gums, mixing each emulsion with the gum it originally worked in.

(Which is why pronouncements about "good" colors for gum are worthless,
among so may others, of course.)

Judy