Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints. (original question)

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 05/17/00-01:29:47 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 04:40
Subject: Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints. (original question)

The absence of this substrate may be why getting a
> satisfactory gloss is difficult with an alt print. It may be necessary to
> use a couple of layers of gelatin, one quite hard one and another softer
> one coated over it. I am guessing at this.

I am confident Richard's on the money here. Since the labour of reinventing
the wheel should only be indulged in when necessary, I urge you to contact
Ilford, or any other commercial manufacturer who will help. I really can't
believe that there's much left in the way of commercial secrecy in the
process of coating glossy FB papers, and I am sure the production engineers
at such a firm could help (whether they would or not is another issue.
You'll have to be nice and persuade them.)

Rod