sizing with acrylics (was: ferrotyping ...)

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 05/17/00-08:30:38 AM Z

> > No, the sizing absolutely withstands the wet-processes, even at
>> higher temperatures. For sizing I use 1:30 to 1:20.
>
>Hi Andre,
>
>What particular paper did you use with this sizing? I am wondering if the
>paper already has enough internal sizing so a thin coat of acrylic is enough.

Indeed, for gum I use a paper that already has a fair amount of
internal sizing: Hahnem"uhle Aquarell Matt at 270g.

>I have used acrylic also but on more absorbent printmaking paper (Lenox, for
>example), and I found that 1:10, one coat is not enough. Two coats work very
>nice for me. Three coats is a guarantee for beautifully clean, white
>highlight, but it seems like it is starting to close up the tooth and the
>paper also starts to feel "plastic."

Glad that you confirm my positive experience with acrylic sizing. If
staining problems persist after 2 coatings of 1:10 I would start
thinking that the paper is perhaps not ideal for the purpose or blaim
the pigments used. I have never ever had staining problems after I
switched from tubed colours to powder pigments. As you know,
staining is a product of two factors: paper being porous enough to
let pigments in and pigments being small enough to follow the
inivitation. Many of the high quality water colours that come in
tubes are in a sense too good for gum printing: they are too finely
ground. Powder pigments are coarser and therefore easier to keep
away from where they are not wanted.

>Also, how do you apply the size? by dipping, brush, sponge?

Brush. But here one needs to be very cautious. Hahnemuehle will
take even coarse bristle strokes with no problem. Arches Aquarell
(satinated) will be absolutely ruined by bristle brushes or sponges.
A soft brush will do for most papers.

-- A