Re: Medium Res Copy Camera Solution query

From: Ken Sinclair (photo1@telusplanet.net)
Date: 05/17/00-09:59:15 AM Z

Hi Doug.

I am sure both manufacturers have lenses to meet your requirements of
"size" (I regularly make use of the Mamiya 65 mm and close-up tube to get
magnifacations up to of 1.3:1). Unfortunately, the best film for making
copy negatives Kodak's 4125 Pro Copy film is not available on anything
other than 4 x 5 and 8 x10 sheet sizes. Tech Pan (120) is "supposed" to be
able to produce copy negatives , and, while I having tried it, I have been
unable to produce a copy negative anywhere near as good as I can get with
4125.

I know Hasselblad used to sell a sheet film holder but Mamiya make no
mention of one in their current literature.

There is a local outlet making copy negatives with 55PN.. a "disaster"
compared to the tonal quality obtainable from 4125 negs

>I need to copy prints, mostly around 8x10" in size (and slightly smaller)
>at the best resolution possible to make a b/w interneg but need to do
>better than my Nikon 55mm macro lens. Really I need a medium format
>solution that can do macro but I'm unforunately not acquainted with MF
>gear.
>
>Unfortunately I can't use a 4x5 as this needs to be a travelling rig.

There are 4 x 5 cameras available that are both cheaper and lighter
(probably easier to "pack") than both Hasselblad and Miamiya.

Ken

[||/\/\/\/\/\/\|| Ken Sinclair RBP, FBPA
[|| ||-| Applied Photographic Services
[|| || | Lethbridge,
[|| || | Alberta, Canada,
[|| ||-| (403) 381-1654.