Re: Jeff asks about number of tones

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 05/25/00-09:45:53 AM Z

Hey Jeff,

Have you tried "multitone printing," using one neg to produce your
delicate high values and another to punch in the darks. This way you can
"tone multiply" by assigning your 256 shades TWICE on your print.
Registration of the negs isn't a big deal (only your first time is it a
hassle) and with desktop negatives, cost isn't really a factor.

And a friendly suggestion that applies to all of us at various times:
don't be too eager to deposit technical precipitation on a joyful
creative parade. >;^D

Best,

Dan

You said in your message...

>I am wondering if you have given any thought to my dilemma of getting
>enough number of tones in various parts of the image. Digital 8-bit
>only provides 255 (RGB values of 0 not used) and some extra (about 45)
>may be obtained by offsetting the ranges of inks (black and yellow).
>However there remains a critical shortage of tones especially at the
>highlight end. This is much more important in a Pt/Pd print which
>discriminates subtle values.

Dan Burkholder
P.O. Box 111877
Carrollton, TX 75011-1877
USA
972-242-9819
fax 972-242-9651
danphoto@aol.com
www.danburkholder.com

Author of the book nobody should be without:
"Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing."