Re: dating prints

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/26/00-01:27:16 PM Z

On Fri, 26 May 2000 Kerik717@aol.com wrote:

> I'm not sure weather I'm working in the real world, but you can
> certainly date your work any way you want. Collectors, galleries,
> museums, etc. usually like to have both dates - the date of the
> negative and the date of the print. I (almost) always put both dates
> on my prints. When you're dead, the prints made around the same time
> as the negative will generally be considered more valuable by those
> who worry about such things.

Actually, you can put on any date you damn please .... MacDermit & McGough
date all their work 1917.

But another point: about that analogy of photo tones with music notes...
TOO MUCH tremuloso in music can be the stuff of parody. Can too many
tones in a print also be counterproductive?

And another other point: Having put considerable effort into problems of
registration in subsequent coats of gum printing, my guess is that game in
platinum printing isn't worth the candle. Surely much more difficult to
manage where the whole point of the print is precise detail.

Judy