Digital negs and PT/PD

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 05/26/00-06:52:02 PM Z

Hello All,

After reviewing all the notes and tests on still learning PT/PD from a week
ago, I decided to get to the bottom of this curve and the printer tones
problem that is part of a current thread. I wanted to know what my printer
(Epson 1520 with quadtone ink carts) would print and not print. Well, I
made a very small inroad.

Unlike others on the list, I'm more of a grass roots type - you know, the
least amount of technojumble that's required to produce a consistent product
is my preference. Nothing wrong with digging in and finding all the nitty
gritty details though. In any case, I prepared a 47 step (don't ask how
that number came up - photoshop did it) image that prints on 8.5X11.

I found that what I see on my screen is what my printer prints and what it
won't print are the steps represented by the Photoshop values below 15. All
those values look the same as the 15 step. I am unable to discern those
same differences on my monitor. No amount of adjustment in the
contrast/brightness controls will bring out the difference - however, the
eyedropper tool indicates a difference down to a value of 5.

I need to signal here because the above talks about printer tests and the
following relates to negs prepared on a Lightjet 5000 - same files and
similar results as with the printer negs. although printer negs pose a whole
other set of problems.

I know this is contributing to my problem with being able to get detail in
the shadows (details that are there but that won't print because I must
expose for the highlight detail. Back to dodging & burning or to masks
which I am trying to avoid.

Now, I thought that the PT/PD processes required contrasty negs to make a
good print - I can see the details in these negs (Lightjet 5000) and they
don't appear like boilerplate. I must be missing something here. Or, maybe
I'm making some fundamental error in the prep of my PT/PD process.

One thing I have noticed is that the blacks don't look real black - they are
just the darkest area on the print. This observation results from a
comparison to the contrast in a RC print.

The real reason for this post. If you would like a copy of my step file
(400KB tif format from Photoshop 5) to print on your printer, email me off
list. It might provide the basis for meaningful discussion.

No real question to answer here - just updating my sloooooow progress. I
also find that by documenting what is happening, I am forced to answer many
of my own questions.

Many thanks,

Nick