Re: Sodium vs. Potassium Carbonate

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/27/00-10:55:43 PM Z

Jack, I use the Ansco 130 developer and recently ran out of Sodium
Carbonate - Mono. I called the Darkroom cookbook ( Steve Anchell) and
he said that it should work fine to substitute Pot Carb but would
exhaust my stop bath quicker. I did notice a slight change in
consistency with that batch, it only amounted to about 1/4 the total
amount needed. It was hard to say for sure, I had some bad batches of
both Cachet and Ilford papers at the same time along with some white on
white prints. In a pinch I would not hesitate to mix them, put I would
not use it as a long term solution for silver developers as a slight but
important color shift was also noticed in toned prints later.

EJ Neilsen

--
Eric J. Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite #9