Re: Intaglio/Photogravure/Etching

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/31/00-05:24:56 PM Z

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:
> I too do not consider digital an "alt" process as it is the mainstream
> commercial image process. Or very soon to be. The time is close when
> the major photo companies stop producing silver and dye based materials,
> and gelatin silver and contemporary color will join us to become
> alt-digital processes. Or perhaps better termed alt-commercial
> processes.

Seems a girl can't make a joke around here any more...

I pretty much agree with Jeffrey on this one, however -- getting to the
large negative digitally, which actually would include all aspects of
scanning and printing except regular photo output on inkjet, is very much
an "alt" topic, and I for one am willing to stretch the point when
necessary.... Because for many of us digital is NOT a primary interest,
rather a means to another end with a very steep and rocky learning curve.
When one has a finite and specific question the effort to find that on a
digital list is prohibitive -- or let's say, even if you knew whereabouts
to find it, by the time you subscribed and read and asked and otherwise
toodled around, the equipment would be obsolete.

Judy