Re: Intaglio/Photogravure/Etching

From: Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Date: 05/31/00-10:54:29 PM Z

> I pretty much agree with Jeffrey on this one, however -- getting to the
> large negative digitally, which actually would include all aspects of
> scanning and printing except regular photo output on inkjet, is very much
> an "alt" topic, and I for one am willing to stretch the point when
> necessary.... Because for many of us digital is NOT a primary interest,
> rather a means to another end with a very steep and rocky learning curve.
> When one has a finite and specific question the effort to find that on a
> digital list is prohibitive -- or let's say, even if you knew whereabouts
> to find it, by the time you subscribed and read and asked and otherwise
> toodled around, the equipment would be obsolete.
> Judy

  Ditto, Judy. Digital used as a means to an end is great; I'm on (now) the
epson list to learn more about the new 2000 printer coming out, and, heck,
it has taken me hundreds of messages to wade through the technical jargon to
try to remotely understand what Matchlock, CIS, Horses, piezo, Profoto,
gamma ja ja is...I mean, granted, I am learning a ton but sometimes you want
more specific input than that to apply to creating a final alt product, even
if that sometimes includes mimicking a platinum print digitally.
Chris