Wandering photographer returns.

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/31/00-07:24:20 PM Z

OK, I'm back.

Just wanted to mention a couple of things.

First, on this Paris trip I investigated the holdings of the
Societe de Francais Photographie which some of you may recognize
as the old "Photo Club of Paris." Since I am a member, I was
permitted access to the print collection. However my time was limited.
Nevertheless, I got a detailed and close up look at some
Demeche (sp?) gum prints singned 1900. These were monochrome,
one-coat prints. Words fail me but "magnifique!" "gorgous!"
"formidible" come to mind amoung others.

These beautiful prints had great tonal range and depth, as well as,
exceptional detail. Many of them looked more like platinum prints
than gum. So, my friends, all that stuff about gum not showing detail
and not having good tonal range is bunk. You would agree if you
could have seen these.

How did he do it? I wish I knew. It has given me a great deal of
respect for the gum print. (Judy, I wish you could have seen
these prints. "Breath-taking!!!"-another phrase that comes to mind.

Demeche was a member as was Foucault. There are some daguerreotypes
of the sun and its spectrum in their collection.

Bob "Bub" Schramm