Demachy

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/31/00-08:07:41 PM Z

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Robert W. Schramm wrote:

> These beautiful prints had great tonal range and depth, as well as,
> exceptional detail. Many of them looked more like platinum prints
> than gum. So, my friends, all that stuff about gum not showing detail
> and not having good tonal range is bunk. You would agree if you
> could have seen these.

Well Bob, maybe when it comes from a French-speaking fella they'll believe
it. I've been saying that for years, like shouting into a well.

> How did he do it? I wish I knew. It has given me a great deal of
> respect for the gum print. (Judy, I wish you could have seen
> these prints. "Breath-taking!!!"-another phrase that comes to mind.

I've seen quite a number of *Demachy*s in reproduction, and this is very
apparent. Post-Factory #1 quotes a bunch of text on the topic from both
Demachy and his colleague Puyo. As I recall I didn't reprint their
complete instructions, tho they are in print, and I've given the essence,
which is simple enough... long careful development, with selective pouring
of water -- and a nice smooth paper -- NO RIVES BFK !!! As I recall, the
reprint collection "Non-Silver processes" (in the 1970s, edited by... was
it Bunnell?) had the definitive essay by Maskell, in English. I'll look
it up.

But now do you understand why I'm still pining & whining for that "vernis
sohenee", the "varnish," or lacquer, or whatever he said he used to deepen
the tone ! ?

Judy