Re: Rotation on Jobo --- Re: Info On Jobo Drums

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 11/01/00-11:02:56 AM Z

Hi Sandy

I've been using Jobo drums for the last dozen years or so, and I made a
comment backing up David's opinion of the processors, so to be fair I feel I
have to come in here.

The tank systems themselves are very well designed. I have never had
problems with leaks such as you suggest, in either the small or large tanks
that I use. Some of my tanks are getting very old and have suffered a great
deal of hard work and abuse. Very occasionally the tabs which lock the tank
sections together can get pushed out of line, which causes a leak, but this
is usually as a result of rushed people not taking care, and separating the
tank sections and straightening out the tabs cures it.

The reels, IMO, are much better designed than Paterson or Hama. They are the
best plastic reels I have used. Having said that, the 1500 series reels are
a little flimsy and have been known to break- the 3000 series are much more
robust.

I should perhaps qualify my earlier statement about the design and build of
Jobo processors- I think they are a very clever concept, flawed by the
manufacturer's specification and use of components which are not, in my
opinion, up to the long term use of the equipment in hot and humid
conditions- and since they create their own heat and humidity this is
definitely an issue. In short, the delicate electronic components used in
the Autolabs are just- well, too delicate. I have heard that the design life
for an Autolab in daily use is no more than 5 years, a figure which I
personally regard as very optimistic indeed. I have always been able to
write the processors off as a business cost, but nevertheless it has been
quite a lot of money over the years......

In the reliability stakes, BTW, the old CPP2 - which was not new when I
bought it in '89 to replace a CPE2 which was doing exactly what David's is
doing- has so far outlived an ATL1, ATL2 and ATL1000, and has only ever
needed a new pump................Methinks best stick with the simple
machines.

Rod