Re: photo history lecture

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/03/00-02:43:21 PM Z

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Thor Bols wrote:
> >Mapplethorpe is important as a cultural phenomenon, but much less so as a
> >photographer. He well illustrates the transition of fine art to popular
> >culture. He was the artist entertainer, as so many post modernist are, and
> >in
> >that regard he excelled.
CUT

> >sense, Mapplethorpe was an important artist even though he was a mediocre
> >photographer.

Bill, Thor, Chris, etc.

Having been credited -- or blamed -- for putting Mapplethorpe in the
canon, tho as I recall I merely said he was brilliant, let me amplify.

In school they used to tell us you're only as good as the worst print in
your portfolio. But maybe if you've done just a handful of BRILLIANT
photographs, or even A COUPLE that become iconical, and did them
deliberately, not just a lucky shot, then you're that good. I see a lot of
Mapplethorpe as indeed crudest porn, but call to mind, for instance, Man
in the Gray Polyester Suit. This is one of the funniest, most
*photographic* (ie., VISUAL), politically keen, and *articulate*
photographs we have. Just calling it to mind is -- well, I CAN call it
clearly to mind, because it stays in the mind -- it's *graphic*, along
with its meanings on many levels. The "porn" picture of the little girl
with no underwear is another, embarrassing and troubling -- but equally
remarkable, & "speaks" on many levels. He has several of that caliber, I
believe, and some stunning portraits (Lisa Phillips among those I recall.)

As for "standard" studio lighting -- does greatness reside in where you
put a fill light or flash wipe out? Probably more gimmicks in lighting
than in all the filters at B&H. And surely we agree that to be great
doesn't mean hours in the darkroom -- many "greats" past & present had
flunkies (or geniuses) taking care of that end of business.

I also fail to see the problem with giving students something to capture
their attention. It's hard to teach them ANYTHING when they're asleep --
or absent. In any event, I doubt that Mapplethorpe *IS* "popular culture."
That's Ansel Adams.

Judy