Re: photo history lecture

From: Thor Bols (thorbols@hotmail.com)
Date: 11/03/00-01:27:13 PM Z

This really intrigues me: "A well known art critic once told me that
Mapplethorpe was the most important photographer of the second half of the
20th century because he was the only photographer that made the critic want
to know the people in the photographs."

Bill, would you mind sharing the identity of this well-known critic? I'd be
really interested in knowing who has such an opinion of Mapplethorpe. I
always thought that Mapplethorpes purposely *removed* the personality of his
subjects in order to depict them as sort of *iconic*. Certainly, in many of
his portraits of famous individuals, the subjects seem to become objects.
I've always thought that this was one of his strengths.