Re: photo history lecture

From: Thor Bols (thorbols@hotmail.com)
Date: 11/03/00-03:46:22 PM Z

C'mon, folks. To include Mapplethorpe in a list of the 5 photographers that
affected the medium to the greatest degree? That's just silly, and an
insult to Gene Smith, Robert Frank, Diane Arbus, etc. THESE are the artists
that ought to be spoken of, if one has to present a "capsule summary".

Monica, I am VERY familiar with Mapplethorpe's work. I bought a photograph
of Patti Smith that he made back when she was still his roomate. As I said,
I like his work, but I can't see how anyone can say it has had any
particular influence on the medium. I never attempted to "rip apart" his
technical merits. He's talented with a camera and strobe, but no more so
that hundreds of other studio photographers. And the capture of "black
skin" is more of an accomplishment for Tom Baril, who did his printing. As
for his "controversial" subject matter, gay sexual practices where captured
on film before and after Mapplethorpe. I've always felt that most of these
works are his most awkward: the activities lack any looseness or passion,
they appear stilted and posed. Mind-blowing, its not.