problems with carbon printing

From: 1232-553-1 (1232-553@onlinehome.de)
Date: 11/05/00-01:30:05 AM Z

Re: inkjet negs?Hi everybody

I have two problems with carbon transfer.

First problem is that I allways have areas on the prints
where the carbon image doesn't stick properly to the transfer
paper. After drying, you can scratch away the image with your
finger nails and lift it up. This occures mainly with areas of very
deep black but sometimes happens as well to the midd tones.

I tryed to shorten or prolong the soaking time for the carbon
tissue before transfering but it didn't help.
Please could anybody give me an idea about the general factors
determining this behavior (maybe using more pigment, allowing thiner
gelatin layers for deep blacks or any changes in developing process)?

The second problem is that expecially with raw surfaces of
cold pressed or handmade papers my prints show 'millions'
of very small shiny / glossy bubbles.
I tried to soak the carbon / transfer sandwich first in cold water
and enhanced then the temperature step by step to avoid these
small air bells but it didn't solve.
I don't know if theses air bells are caused by bubbles in the
gelatin emulsion (I allways add some alcohol to avoid air bubbles
in the emulsion), in the transfer water or in the hot developing water.
Again, please could anybody give me an idea about the general
factors determining this behavior?

About 10% of my carbon prints are o.k. but this isn't realy satisfying
and a waste of time and material.

1000 Thanks in advance!

Regards
Stefan