Re: inkjet negs? CONSISTENCY

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/05/00-06:54:42 PM Z

At 2000/11/05 03:15 PM -0700, bmaxey1@juno.com wrote: (in small part)
>Personally, I think if one is going to use materials experimentally, they
>better be sure of consistency. It would be useful to find some formulas
>for inks and dyes that can be applied by a printer. WARNING: Not all Dyes
>are equal. Some are benign and some are very poisonous.

The problem is that Epson's new "inks" aren't dyes, but pigments for which
they still haven't found the magic formula. The newest formulations,
unfortunately, do not appear the same under different kinds of light (which
is why some users say the images are too "green" and can't be adjusted).
For monochrome negatives, this is not a problem, and the pigments are more
archival. Personally, I will continue with the ALPS pigmented ribbons until
I hear better news about Epson. Too bad ALPS has discontinued selling their
printers in the US. (If you are really interested, there is an Epson
NewsGroup where they pull no punches.)

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org