Re: Buxton paper

From: J. Wayde Allen (wallen@lug.boulder.co.us)
Date: 11/06/00-12:24:11 PM Z

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> If we are to talk good science, let us also rely on good scientific
> information. The pdlab site you reference does not seem to divulge it's
> author(s) anywhere. I believe that it is good practice that any
> scientific source of information present it's author(s) and necessary
> resources/bibliographies. Otherwise, why should we take anyone's word
> for it. One can find just about anything on the internet these days.
>
> I believe your argument would hold more credibility with a credential
> bearing reference.

Good science relies on critical thinking, not just references. Neither I
or the pdlab site is saying anything new or revolutionary. You can find
discussions about this in most any good book on data analysis. No one is
asking anyone to take anything on faith here. The pdlab site is
commercial <http://www.pdlab.com/welcome.htm>, but I thought they had a
pretty straight forward and simple description of the problem. Did you
read it? What part of the description was wrong?

As far as references go, there are way too many to show here. Let's see,
what have I got here in my office:

   Filliben, James J., Experiment Design for Scientists and Engineers,
   Center for Computing and Applied Mathematics - Statistical Engineering
   Division, NIST

   Mendenhall, William and Sincich, Terry, Statistics for Engineering and
   the Sciences 3rd Ed., Dellen Publishing, 1992, ISBN 0-02-380552-8

   Hicks, Charles R., Fundamental Concepts in the Design of Experiments
   3rd Ed., Saunders College Publishing, 1982, ISBN 0-03-061706-5

Also some other URL's:

   First what is NIST? http://www.nist.gov/
   What is Sematech? http://www.sematech.org/public/index.htm
   Math, Statistics, and Computational Science at NIST http://math.nist.gov/
   http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/ppc/ppc.htm
   http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/ppc/section1/ppc136.htm
   http://www.nist.gov/itl/div898/handbook/pmd/section3/pmd32.htm

   etc. ...

I could also give you my credentials if necessary, but I can't imagine
why that should be necessary?

- Wayde
  (wallen@lug.boulder.co.us)