Re: variables testing (was Re: Buxton paper

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 11/10/00-02:31:11 AM Z

I don't disagree with anything you say here. My point was that if Wayde
wanted to set up a scientific experiment that tested all the variables
against all the other variables, as he's recommending that folks do, he
would be disappointed if he thought one of these correlational models
would yield repeatable or even necessarily interpretable results, in
terms of what quantitative change in which variable or combination of
variables yielded what quantitative change in the outcome. I was hoping
he would work through the whole example and discover this for himself,
as he tried to replicate the results on a second set of data. As I said
in the first post I wrote on this topic, it's my opinion that there
isn't a statistical model that makes sense for our situation and I'm
perfectly comfortable having everyone run tests for their own purposes,
as long as they understand that their results cannot necessarily be
generalized to anyone else.
Katharine

Judy Seigel wrote:

What I've been trying to say over and over again is that