Re: keeping gelatin

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/14/00-02:03:35 PM Z

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Sandy King wrote:

> Of course gelatin will store longer refrigerated. And almost
> indefinitely if you freeze it.

Thanks to all for the discussion -- upshot of which seems to be throw the
stuff out: 2cc of 15% thymol per 100 cc for 2 litres would come to 40 cc,
which, given the cost of the thymol -- not cheap at Kremer -- would come
to more than cost of the gelatin, and probably be worse for the local
eco-sphere.

I don't have refrigerator space for 2 litres extra (as it is, can hardly
fit in the Tropicana, "World's Perfect Orange Juice" -- hey, I don't write
their copy!). Also, my experience is, gelatin only keeps a few days under
refrigeration, perhaps due to an excess of microscopic life in this
particular habitat, but, even assuming formalin PLUS refrigeration
improved keeping ... still seems not worth it. (Darkroom fridge even
smaller.)

The question arises because vat-sizing LARGE paper requires 3 litres at
least, more comfortably 4. Carry-off reduces that by a litre or so, but --
there's the 2 left. Then a month or so later I want a touch up, or a
little something, maybe an added be-on-the-safe-side brush-on coat --
would be nice to have a supply on hand to take a scoop of .... Which
brings me to suggestion of freezing.

I'll try it -- imagine having a few little blocks like ice cubes in the
freezer. My *expectation* is that it wouldn't work for gum: certainly
BOILING water breaks down the gelatin structure and is RUINOUS to size, as
I've seen in several different manifestations. I would expect freezing to
have similar effect, but as we know -- what's "expect" got to do with
it.? Will test the freeze.

I would assume also that other ingredients (salt, acid, whatever) would
improve keeping qualities, in the way that adding salt or spice to food
preserves it. That's why botulinus grows in string beans, not pickles.
(Hmmmm....)

Judy